In the beginning of January of 1904, the Donhowe Clothing Store, a predecessor of the Charlson's Clothes Shop, moved into what is now considered the Charlson Building. A men's clothing store continued to occupy that location for 81 years. It was owned by the Donhowe brothers until 1909 when Henry Donhowe sold his interest to Ed Charlson. From 1909-1918 the store was called Donhowe & Charlson. In 1918 Peter Donhowe became the cashier of the Story City National Bank and Ed Charlson bought out his interest in the clothing store. There were a few name changes between 1918 -1920, but by 1920 ads were being placed in the Herald with the Charlson's Clothes Shop name.
When Ed passed away in 1955, Alfred Jacobson and Arnold Johnson became co-owners of the shop. In September of 1969 when Alfred retired, he had been associated with Charlson's Clothes Shop for fifty years. Bob Lekwa had worked for Charlson's for several years and took over the business when Arnold Johnson retired. Bob ran the shop until Charlson's closed in 1985.